For those of us blessed with curly or wavy hair, we constantly wonder how to get silky straight hair. It's adaptable, it's manageable and lends itself to various different hairstyles. Why wouldn't we want it? The problem is, without subjecting our hair to heavy chemical treatments, running to the salon for a blow-dry or straightening it with an iron every day, we can't achieve this. Even worse, most of these remedies are temporary and can cause long term damage to your hair.
There is hope though. Natural hair straightening does exist. These 7 home remedies for straight hair show you how to get straight hair naturally, and avoid damaging it in the process.
7 Home Remedies to Straighten Hair Naturally Without Damaging It:
1. Egg and Olive Oil:
Egg and olive oil work wonders to nourish your hair and make it strong. But did you also know that they can straighten your hair? For this home remedy all you need is
- 2 eggs and 1 part olive oil.
- Mix them together thoroughly and apply it on your scalp.
- Wash this off in an hour.
2. Milk, Honey and Strawberries:
Sounds delicious doesn't it? However, milk has proven to be an excellent natural straightener. Rich in protein, milk smoothes out your hair and fortifies the hair shaft.
For this treatment,
- Mix milk with two tablespoons of honey
- Then add fresh, crushed strawberries.
- Apply this on your hair and wrap a towel around it.
- After 2-3 hours, wash it off.
3. Aloe Vera:
Aloe vera is choc-a-bloc with enzymes that promote hair growth and keep your hair soft and smooth. It also penetrates the hair, moisturizing it thoroughly, reducing the chance of frizz or curls.
Steps for this treatment:
- Mix half a cup of warm oil and half a cup of aloe vera.
- Apply this pack to your hair
- Wash it out after 30-40 minutes!
4. Castor Oil:
Amongst its other benefits like treating skin infections, stomach problems and constipation, castor oil works wonders for straightening your hair.
For this remedy,
- Warm the oil and massage it into your hair.
- Wrap a warm, damp towel around it and keep it on for 30 minutes.
- Then wash your hair with a gentle shampoo like Pantene.
One of the more popular remedies - vinegar is well known for adding sleekness and shine to your hair. After you've rinsed out the conditioner from your hair, add some drops of vinegar into a mug of cold water and rinse out your hair one last time with it.
6. Lemon Juice and Coconut Milk:
When people ask how to straighten hair naturally? - the answer is lemon juice. It is a natural straightener. Additionally, if you mix it with coconut milk, it gets the benefit of the creamy milk, which acts as a conditioner. Apply this mixture on the strands of your hair and then wash it out with lukewarm water.
7. Banana, Curd, Honey and Olive Oil:
This hair mask is power packed with natural conditioners like curd and olive oil.
- Take two overripe bananas and 2 tablespoons of honey, olive oil and curd and mash them into a fine paste.
- Coat your hair with this mask and protect it with a shower cap.
- Leave this on for 1/2 an hour and then wash it off.
It is important to note that these remedies should be used twice or thrice a week, and not on a daily basis. Are you still wondering how to get straight hair naturally now? As a final note, we’d like to remind you that each remedy needs to be given time for any effect to be seen, but the result, is well worth the wait!
We have more ways to achieve straight hair, that doesn’t involve messy ingredients and hair packs. Yes, you read that right ladies, the following ways of straightening hair doesn’t require heating appliances nor kitchen supplies.
How to Straighten Hair without Heat or Straightening Mask
#1 Straighten Your Hair with Hair Bands – Effective Way to Get Straight Hair Overnight
- We all have tried braiding our hair and sleeping so as to get beach waves in the morning.
- In the same way, using hair bands to straighten hair is an easy, cost-effective method.
- Section your hair in small ponytails. Ensure that these are all low ponytails so as to avoid dents in the higher section of the hair.
- So now you would have many low ponytails at your neck
- Tie all these ponytails with very loose hair bands. It is essential to have loose ponytails so as to again avoid dents in the hair.
- Now keep placing hair bands till the end of the ponytails and this will give straight, frizz-free hair in just 1 night!
#2 Straighten Your Hair Naturally With Hair Rollers
- You just need the largest hair rollers available in the stores to get straight hair with this method. Please note that bigger rollers will ensure better results.
- Take a hair roller and start wrapping your wet hair around it and place it tightly on the head. Ensure that you secure this roller in place with bobby pins.
Pro-Tip: Using tissue in between bobby pins and hair will ensure that your hair is not dented by the pins!
- Take the rollers out only when your hair is completely dry.
#3 Wrap Your Hair around Your Head for Straight Hair
- Sounds very unconventional right? Trust us, if done correctly, it could give you straight hair without flat irons.
- Comb all your hair to one side and ensure that every strand is detangled.
- Take small sections of hair and wrap it around your head and secure this strand on your head with bobby pins.
- Do this step till all your hair is wrapped around your hair
- Remove the wrapped hair in the morning to get straight frizz-free hair!
Pro-Tip: You can wrap your head with a silk or a micro-fiber towel to reduce frizz overnight.
#4 How To Straighten Your Hair Faster Than Ever!
- Well you just need a microfiber towel to dab the water out of your hair, a wide toothed comb and nothing else!
- After washing your hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner, dab your hair dry with a microfiber towel. Do not wipe, twist or comb your hair! Just press the towel down to remove excess water from the hair.
- Then with a wide toothed comb, take small strands of hair and pull it slightly to give a little tension.
- Comb your entire hair length with this tension technique
- After your hair dries, you will realize the hair has straightened a little!
With so many methods of hair straightening without a straightener, you surely must be wondering that anytime I have straightened my hair, it starts losing the shape after sometime. And you always want to have straight hair for longer time. Don’t worry! We have got you covered there as well!
How to Keep the Straightened Hair Look For Longer
- Well, one way is to try and avoid moisture at any costs – sweat, humidity, water wreaks havoc to your straightened hair.
- You can also apply just a tiny amount of oil and again wrap your hair. This will ensure that your hair is not frizzy and is straight! This move is suggested for the night, as overtime the oil will also be absorbed.